Ocean City
House: Hufflepuff

Fandoms

Arts & Crafts

Sports

Lifestyle

Pruning

Post by scooter »

Just a heads up. Very soon I'm going to get rid of all topics which were last posted to in April. The idea is to keep just the last four months of topics - so anything from May, June, July, and August.

On the first of every month from now on, I will go back and prune any topic that is older than four months. I'll use the "Last Post" for the thread as a guide.

If there are any issues with wanting to keep something, let me know, or you could just post something new to the old thread, which would keep it from being deleted.
This has been another bit of brain shrapnel from...
SCOOTER :cool:
Professional Dilettante (reasonable rates) :thumb:
skramer@atlantic-computingREMOVETHIS.com

QotM: "Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed." – Hunter S. Thompson
scooter
Administrator
Administrator
Ocean City

Fandoms

Arts & Crafts

Sports

Lifestyle

Re: Pruning

Post by scooter »

Okay, pruning is now done. I think I knocked out three topics. Next month will be May's topics...I'm not sure there are any, to be honest.

QotM: "Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed." – Hunter S. Thompson
scooter
Administrator
Administrator
Ocean City

Fandoms

Arts & Crafts

Sports

Lifestyle

Post by scooter »

First off, 1000 GET :clap:

I haven't done the yippie-skippy on that too much because I'm doing another pruning on the first of the month. All topics which were last posted on in May are due to be culled, which I think ends up being zero, because I hadn't pushed this as a social media site then. The question is, do we start pruning out June's posts as well? There are significantly more topics which ended in June, and we're already into page three on Random Thoughts...however, I want to give lots of notice before doing that.

For right now, I think I will just do May. I may bring this up again at the end of October to see whether we want to get rid of both June and July on November 1, and keep a three-month backlog, not four.

scooter
Administrator
Administrator
Ocean City

Fandoms

Arts & Crafts

Sports

Lifestyle

Post by scooter »

scooter wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:08 pm
For right now, I think I will just do May. I may bring this up again at the end of October to see whether we want to get rid of both June and July on November 1, and keep a three-month backlog, not four.
Definitely just doing June five days from now. That does mean if you want to keep a June topic from being disposed of, just comment in it. That will bump it to the front and restart the clock. :idea:

scooter
Administrator
Administrator
Ocean City

Fandoms

Arts & Crafts

Sports

Lifestyle

Post by scooter »

scooter wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:41 am
Definitely just doing June five days from now. That does mean if you want to keep a June topic from being disposed of, just comment in it. That will bump it to the front and restart the clock. :idea:
Done now! Got it taken care of a bit early. I can still undelete if need be.

scooter
Administrator
Administrator
Ocean City

Fandoms

Arts & Crafts

Sports

Lifestyle

Post by scooter »

Just did a whole bunch of pruning from the forums - probably the biggest one yet, as August was I think the first full month we were on with no technical problems.

If anything is missing that you're unhappy about, let me know; undelete is possible.

scooter
Administrator
Administrator
Ocean City

Fandoms

Arts & Crafts

Sports

Lifestyle

Post by scooter »

Another very large pruning this time around. All topics which last received a post in September are now gone.

Number of topics now gone:

In Welcome! - What's New 0 (Weather is automatically culled)

In Tech Help - Tech News 3, Computers & Laptops 1, Tablets and Mobile Phones 1, Software 0

In Social - Random Thoughts 7, TV & Movies 8, Sports 5, Original FIction 0, Music 5, Books 7, Science 2, Video Games 8, Food and Drink 6

In Foreign Languages - Francais 0

In the Restricted Forums - News 7, Gaming 0, Politics 10, the other forum at the end 5

scooter
Administrator
Administrator
Ocean City

Fandoms

Arts & Crafts

Sports

Lifestyle

Post by scooter »

Currently going through the topics which were last posted to in October. Bout time for them to be on their way.

I am considering automating the process (as is already up on the Weather topic). That would mean I wouldn't be able to undelete old topics, which I'm not yet sure about.

Also: Version 3.3.3 is on its way. Looks like they finally have a stable version there. May post more about that in Forum Software.

scooter
Administrator
Administrator
Ocean City

Fandoms

Arts & Crafts

Sports

Lifestyle

Post by scooter »

I have now given up on pruning the Forums by hand. I now have set an automatic process to get rid of any topic which has not been commented on in exactly one year. :rage: (The Weather forum is set for 30 days, in order to keep it most current.) Unlike the current method, this is not reversible.

If there is a topic of yours that you don't wish to have go away, make it into a Sticky. (Comment if you don't know how.) Stickies will never be pruned.

I might introduce a new hidden forum somewhere for an archive, in case there's a lot of stuff we want to save. Let me know if you want that to happen.

scooter
Administrator
Administrator
Ocean City

Fandoms

Arts & Crafts

Sports

Lifestyle

Post by scooter »

scooter wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 8:27 pm I have now given up on pruning the Forums by hand. I now have set an automatic process to get rid of any topic which has not been commented on in exactly one year. :rage: (The Weather forum is set for 30 days, in order to keep it most current.) Unlike the current method, this is not reversible.

If there is a topic of yours that you don't wish to have go away, make it into a Sticky. (Comment if you don't know how.) Stickies will never be pruned.

I might introduce a new hidden forum somewhere for an archive, in case there's a lot of stuff we want to save. Let me know if you want that to happen.
I might increase the pruning to two years, just to give a long archive of posts for new members to take a look at. Would that be a navigation problem for anybody?