This was unexpected

Out of the Park Baseball, EA, and others. Win the League!
scooter
The Guy What Runs Things
Scooter
House: Hufflepuff

Fandoms

Arts & Crafts

Sports

Lifestyle

Vaccines

This was unexpected

Post by scooter »

So I have created a model country and made a baseball league on it.

The first time I did this, I had a bunch of players in the league which were slightly worse than what you'd find in the Majors - so, similar to Korea or Taiwan. The second time, I sat down and literally worked out all the variables, including things like population density and the like, and came up with a somewhat realistic distribution of baseball talent in my model country.

The second works really well, much better than the first. In fact...it's too good.

The players are simply not up to the talent level from the majors. In the first, retired players or high-level minor leaguers who never made it could fit in in the island league and do well. In the second, basically the talent is completely one-sided - the local players on the island are bench guys at best and will never hold a job in the majors for any reason.

I'm still wondering what to do about the fact that I made it too good...

On another unexpected note, I'm playing the Orioles in my OOTP Go league. (That's the mobile phone version.) They finished the 2021 season at 73-89, which isn't good, but is a hell of a lot better than in real life (52-110). I of course traded like a rug merchant to get that far, and in one of the experimental "whaddaya-think" tries I did during the Winter Meetings, I somehow swapped Trey Mancini (and a good minor league prospect) for...Shohei Ohtani.

Okay, he isn't quite the world-beater that he is in real-life, with a 4.20 ERA last year, but by damn he is still SHOHEI OHTANI. I immediately got huge bonus points and a note saying that my fan base went from "disinterested" to "ecstatic". :squee:

Just have reached Christmas and will be hopefully signing a deal with a Korean pitching prospect from Bucheon who absolutely destroyed his country's league last year and is looking for a big payday. Given that he's 22 years old and has a fastball he can throw through a filing cabinet, I'm quite willing to open up the vault. :money:
This has been another bit of brain shrapnel from...
SCOOTER :cool:
Professional Dilettante (reasonable rates) :thumb:
skramer@atlantic-computingREMOVETHIS.com

QotM: "I don't get even. I get odd."
WolfofWords
Pirate of the Internet
Pirate
House: Ravenclaw

Fandoms

Arts & Crafts

Sports

Lifestyle

Vaccines

Re: This was unexpected

Post by WolfofWords »

That is extremely dense gameplay. I'm very impressed. I wish they had one for pro wrestling.
Writer. Pirate. Paralegal. Blogger.

"Another night but my mind can't seem to sleep
the morning light puts the fight back into me
I'm wide awake but afraid to open my eyes" - Wet Hot American Summer
scooter
The Guy What Runs Things
Scooter

Fandoms

Arts & Crafts

Sports

Lifestyle

Vaccines

Post by scooter »

WolfofWords wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 9:29 am That is extremely dense gameplay. I'm very impressed. I wish they had one for pro wrestling.
Again, I knew Out of the Park Baseball was the simulation for me when I first opened up the Orioles and received a note from the owner reminding me that there was a vacancy for the pitching coach at our AA affiliate in Bowie.

There is Pro Wrestling Sim out there (looks like there is a Steam and an Android version) and it seems to have a number of dedicated followers...

scooter
The Guy What Runs Things
Scooter

Fandoms

Arts & Crafts

Sports

Lifestyle

Vaccines

Post by scooter »

So the phone sim crashed and took my game with it. Somewhat annoying. Of course it wasn't performing exactly to perfection because it couldn't handle Ohtani hitting; it put in a DH for him when he was pitching rather than just letting him hit for himself. Thing of it is, I like those mold-breaking players; I had Pat Venditte in a previous sim and it wouldn't allow him to switch-pitch. The sim is generally a year late or so in putting in new developments in the game - because they're rather rare. (Though they are on top of the whole "ban-the-shift" movement, for whatever reason...)