Terraforming Mars with LASERS

If we knew what we were doing, it wouldn't be called research...
Forum rules
Good heavens, Miss Sakamoto - you're beautiful!
scooter
Administrator
Administrator
Scooter
House: Hufflepuff

Fandoms

Arts & Crafts

Sports

Lifestyle

Terraforming Mars with LASERS

Post by scooter »

I SAID LASERS, GAWDDAMMIT. :science: EIGHT O'CLOCK, DAY ONE. :techno: :vader: :cthulhu: :yay:

This has been another bit of brain shrapnel from...
SCOOTER :cool:
Professional Dilettante (reasonable rates) :thumb:
skramer@atlantic-computingREMOVETHIS.com

QotM: "Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed." – Hunter S. Thompson
ZandraJoi
Commander
Commander
United States of America

Re: Terraforming Mars with LASERS

Post by ZandraJoi »

I think we should just leave the planets alone honestly. We are screwing up the Earth; we don't have a right to screw up other worlds. Now, for the Sci-Fi aspect that's one thing, to just think on it, but not to actually DO it.
CrazyCraftLady
None of your business
House: Ravenclaw

Fandoms

Arts & Crafts

Lifestyle

Post by CrazyCraftLady »

ZandraJoi wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 8:55 am I think we should just leave the planets alone honestly. We are screwing up the Earth; we don't have a right to screw up other worlds. Now, for the Sci-Fi aspect that's one thing, to just think on it, but not to actually DO it.
Really?

This is an interesting line of thought. I want to understand what you're saying, not necessarily change your mind. Please elaborate.
Unless there is already life on Mars (which, sad to say, doesn't seem likely) - what would 'screwing it up' mean? What is our moral obligation to preserve a biology-free environment?
‘Meow’ says the knitter. :twisted:
ZandraJoi
Commander
Commander
United States of America

Post by ZandraJoi »

CrazyCraftLady wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 10:16 am
ZandraJoi wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 8:55 am I think we should just leave the planets alone honestly. We are screwing up the Earth; we don't have a right to screw up other worlds. Now, for the Sci-Fi aspect that's one thing, to just think on it, but not to actually DO it.
Really?

This is an interesting line of thought. I want to understand what you're saying, not necessarily change your mind. Please elaborate.
Unless there is already life on Mars (which, sad to say, doesn't seem likely) - what would 'screwing it up' mean? What is our moral obligation to preserve a biology-free environment?
Humans don't preserve, we destroy. Look at how we are not taking care of our own planet. Plants & animals going extinct due to human greed. Human beings mistreating other human beings. I just don't think we should do that to other worlds. It should be "Look but don't touch".
WolfofWords
Pirate

Fandoms

Arts & Crafts

Sports

Lifestyle

Post by WolfofWords »

The way Mars is now, anything we do to it is likely to be an improvement.
CrazyCraftLady
None of your business

Fandoms

Arts & Crafts

Lifestyle

Post by CrazyCraftLady »

ZandraJoi wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 6:52 am
Really?

Humans don't preserve, we destroy. Look at how we are not taking care of our own planet. Plants & animals going extinct due to human greed. Human beings mistreating other human beings. I just don't think we should do that to other worlds. It should be "Look but don't touch".
At this point, the major risk (and we've taken some effort to avoid it) is to contaminate Mars with Earth live.

If there is any surviving life on Mars, I absolutely agree with you. We shouldn't mess it up.

If there is no life on Mars, wouldn't adding alien life be a more moral choice than leaving it lifeless? Isn't life, itself, inherently a good thing?
‘Meow’ says the knitter. :twisted:
ZandraJoi
Commander
Commander
United States of America

Post by ZandraJoi »

CrazyCraftLady wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 12:43 pm
ZandraJoi wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 6:52 am

Really?

At this point, the major risk (and we've taken some effort to avoid it) is to contaminate Mars with Earth live.

If there is any surviving life on Mars, I absolutely agree with you. We shouldn't mess it up.

If there is no life on Mars, wouldn't adding alien life be a more moral choice than leaving it lifeless? Isn't life, itself, inherently a good thing?
Interesting ideas.
It depends on what constitutes "life". Plants are living. I believe other planets DO have living beings even if they may not breathe oxygen or even need water.
For me, Mars has been like this for, how long?, billions of years? If we never had spaceships we'd never know if other planets have or didn't have life. & they have done just fine without interference from the people of Earth. I believe in the- If it ain't broke, don't fix it. :)