Getting members active again

The ultimate meta forum: using a forum to talk about forums
Nebulous
Yeoman
Yeoman

Getting members active again

Post by Nebulous »

How do you get inactive members active again on a forum?

What are some strategies you've used that worked?

scooter
Administrator
Administrator
Ocean City
House: Hufflepuff

Fandoms

Arts & Crafts

Sports

Lifestyle

Re: Getting members active again

Post by scooter »

I haven't been successful at that, and to be honest I'm not certain I want to be. I'm creating something that's a slow growth project; I don't want it to be like Twitter. :dunno:
This has been another bit of brain shrapnel from...
SCOOTER :cool:
Professional Dilettante (reasonable rates) :thumb:
skramer@atlantic-computingREMOVETHIS.com

QotM: "Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed." – Hunter S. Thompson
[Dimetrodon]
United States of America
House: what

Fandoms

Lifestyle

Post by [Dimetrodon] »

scooter wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 1:38 am I haven't been successful at that, and to be honest I'm not certain I want to be. I'm creating something that's a slow growth project; I don't want it to be like Twitter. :dunno:
Forums are kind of doomed to a slow burn nowadays anyway.

Sadly, massive social media platforms are what people seem to love and hate at the same time.
scooter
Administrator
Administrator
Ocean City

Fandoms

Arts & Crafts

Sports

Lifestyle

Post by scooter »

[Dimetrodon] wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 3:43 pm
scooter wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 1:38 am I haven't been successful at that, and to be honest I'm not certain I want to be. I'm creating something that's a slow growth project; I don't want it to be like Twitter. :dunno:
Forums are kind of doomed to a slow burn nowadays anyway.

Sadly, massive social media platforms are what people seem to love and hate at the same time.
I dunno. I don't get it. I really do not.

Masses of people like things basically because there are a lot of people who, well, like them. That's it. It's pure herd mentality, and I get it.

But there are a tremendous number of people who are dissatisfied with that whole scene, and lots of options - not just this one - for them to join. :dunno:

QotM: "Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed." – Hunter S. Thompson
[Dimetrodon]
United States of America
House: what

Fandoms

Lifestyle

Post by [Dimetrodon] »

I was just forced to join Facebook to build a professional network because I want to work in a particular field. Their initial popularity forces people to stay with them and for new people to join.
ZandraJoi
Commander
Commander
United States of America

Post by ZandraJoi »

Nebulous wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 7:12 pm How do you get inactive members active again on a forum?

How do you boost activity on your forum? It's the age-old question lol Have to have something that others don't offer, a different niche. But even then, everybody is on everybody else's, nobody has time. I try to have new topics going or reply to members' posts. Asking questions helps a lot in increasing activity.
CrazyCraftLady
None of your business
House: Ravenclaw

Fandoms

Arts & Crafts

Lifestyle

Post by CrazyCraftLady »

ZandraJoi wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 8:47 am
Nebulous wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 7:12 pm How do you get inactive members active again on a forum?

How do you boost activity on your forum? It's the age-old question lol Have to have something that others don't offer, a different niche. But even then, everybody is on everybody else's, nobody has time. I try to have new topics going or reply to members' posts. Asking questions helps a lot in increasing activity.
Sure, but that leaves a 'quantity vs quality' question.

There's a limit to how many 'what's your favorite (fill in the blank)' threads you can care about...
‘Meow’ says the knitter. :twisted:
ZandraJoi
Commander
Commander
United States of America

Post by ZandraJoi »

CrazyCraftLady wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 8:37 pm Sure, but that leaves a 'quantity vs quality' question.

There's a limit to how many 'what's your favorite (fill in the blank)' threads you can care about...
I meant more substantial questions that encourage members to open up especially beneficial when they are newbies so they feel they are not just a number. Sometimes the What's your favorite... can open up a deeper discussion when others may reply that they like it too.
scooter
Administrator
Administrator
Ocean City

Fandoms

Arts & Crafts

Sports

Lifestyle

Post by scooter »

ZandraJoi wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 10:14 am
CrazyCraftLady wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 8:37 pm Sure, but that leaves a 'quantity vs quality' question.

I meant more substantial questions that encourage members to open up especially beneficial when they are newbies so they feel they are not just a number. Sometimes the What's your favorite... can open up a deeper discussion when others may reply that they like it too.
I suppose. I'm hopeful that people can find topics that they enjoy and will want to comment on...there are a lot of different boards available for that, I think, without going overboard on it.