Ocean City
House: Hufflepuff

Fandoms

Arts & Crafts

Sports

Lifestyle

Re: Promote your board

Post by scooter »

Siguza wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:15 pm Sorry about these outages. VPS's really are harder to maintain than shared.
If there's ever an issue in the future, you can use these forums to coordinate.
This has been another bit of brain shrapnel from...
SCOOTER :cool:
Professional Dilettante (reasonable rates) :thumb:
skramer@atlantic-computingREMOVETHIS.com

QotM: "Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed." – Hunter S. Thompson
scooter
Administrator
Administrator
Ocean City

Fandoms

Arts & Crafts

Sports

Lifestyle

Post by scooter »

Sigh. I found a forum called forumpromotion.net. It's specifically designed to advertise your forum. So, no problem, right? It's a great community resource, and on we go.

You can't register unless you're referred by a currently registered member. And there's no way to email or message any member.

Ah, wait. You can register through Google or a couple of other services. And when you go through that...they ask for a referrer again.

So you literally can't promote your site unless someone else who already has their own site promotes you first.

:roll:

QotM: "Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed." – Hunter S. Thompson
Saturn
Klingon Empire

Post by Saturn »

scooter wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:22 pm Sigh. I found a forum called forumpromotion.net. It's specifically designed to advertise your forum. So, no problem, right? It's a great community resource, and on we go.

You can't register unless you're referred by a currently registered member. And there's no way to email or message any member.

Ah, wait. You can register through Google or a couple of other services. And when you go through that...they ask for a referrer again.

So you literally can't promote your site unless someone else who already has their own site promotes you first.

I just checked and it's optional. Just leave it blank.
Not employed by or otherwise associated with Atlantic Computing Services.

Last.fm | 0xAB59A4BBF8AFF69C | Mastodon-compatible ActivityPub instance (Boardwalk members welcomed)

In everything you do here please remember there is a real person on the other side. Never assume malicious intent when a lack of knowledge will explain the situation.
scooter
Administrator
Administrator
Ocean City

Fandoms

Arts & Crafts

Sports

Lifestyle

Post by scooter »

Siguza wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:57 am
scooter wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:22 pm Sigh. I found a forum called forumpromotion.net. It's specifically designed to advertise your forum. So, no problem, right? It's a great community resource, and on we go.

I just checked and it's optional. Just leave it blank.
Hunh. Very strange. That was definitely not the case when I first attempted to sign up, and the not-a-bot verification was different as well. Perhaps something was changed shortly after I tried the first time. :dunno:

scooter
Administrator
Administrator
Ocean City

Fandoms

Arts & Crafts

Sports

Lifestyle

Post by scooter »

Okay, thanks to @Siguza, I'm now registered over at Forum Promotion, and they seem to be a great bunch of folks. Hopefully there will be some extra traffic sent here (not immediately, though, as I want to learn the ropes there and be a good citizen and not a spammer...I'd like to help others out, too...)

But this one was interesting. One of the sites there was Heretix Forum, which was all about, as they describe it, "exchange of opinions...in a safe environment". So some form of political or debating society, which is fine. I clicked and expected to find such a thing.

Instead I found this. It's a bizarre freeform role-playing site, with a lot of folks in it and some underlying rule structure that I can't pretend to understand. It looks like they were trying for a MUD or a MOO, but used a forum instead. And again, there seem to be a whole bunch of people playing.

I mean, I was once considering something like a MUD for here, but I'm not that great at programming them, and they don't seem to integrate very cleanly with phpBB. :science:

Does anybody consider this interesting enough to try here? :|

Space Ghost
Champion
Champion
Peace
House: what

Fandoms

Sports

Lifestyle

Post by Space Ghost »

scooter wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:21 pm
Instead I found this. It's a bizarre freeform role-playing site, with a lot of folks in it and some underlying rule structure that I can't pretend to understand. It looks like they were trying for a MUD or a MOO, but used a forum instead. And again, there seem to be a whole bunch of people playing.
132899083557.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." -- Groucho
Saturn
Klingon Empire

Post by Saturn »

Adding my site now. Curious if i'll get any traffic.

Last.fm | 0xAB59A4BBF8AFF69C | Mastodon-compatible ActivityPub instance (Boardwalk members welcomed)

In everything you do here please remember there is a real person on the other side. Never assume malicious intent when a lack of knowledge will explain the situation.
ZandraJoi
Commander
Commander
United States of America

Post by ZandraJoi »

Well I was told I could post in here :)
My forum is https://holisticallysecular.proboards.com/ Holistic, Organic, Secular, & Tolerant.
HOST is about alternative natural health. Focus is educating people on eco-friendly practices, environmental issues.
Let us learn & grow together :)
Saturn
Klingon Empire

Post by Saturn »

For everyone who's been on my forum (Broadcastre Computer Chat), I've taken it down as of today. Please go to http://broadcastre.cc for more information.

Thanks to everyone who was active on there, it's been a good run.

However: I have an imageboard which is actively maintained and active. Please go to http://imageboard.broadcastre.cc if interested.

cc: @scooter @Random American

CrazyCraftLady
None of your business
House: Ravenclaw

Fandoms

Arts & Crafts

Lifestyle

Post by CrazyCraftLady »

Siguza wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 5:02 am For everyone who's been on my forum (Broadcastre Computer Chat), I've taken it down as of today. Please go to http://broadcastre.cc for more information.

Thanks to everyone who was active on there, it's been a good run.

However: I have an imageboard which is actively maintained and active. Please go to http://imageboard.broadcastre.cc if interested.

cc: @scooter @Random American
Sorry to hear that, and glad that you'll still be active here.
‘Meow’ says the knitter. :twisted: