House: Hufflepuff

Fandoms

Arts & Crafts

Sports

Lifestyle

Vaccines

More content, extensions, etc.

Post by scooter »

A few disjointed thoughts on what I've got here, just to have them out and written down...

The way to get people to join and post here is to have more content - specifically, unique content, stuff they can't find anywhere else. Not certain at this point what that might be and I'm willing to listen to suggestions. It's been the place for (some of) the Craft Night group and that has been absolutely cool with me...I think adding good folks slowly, from wherever, is the way to go. (Note that we will be losing some users this month as I'll be deleting some inactive accounts.)

I have been pitching it to people who've expressed dissatisfaction with Twitter and Facebook as an alternative, but have found that while people like to complain about them, they don't actually want to change anything; they bitch and then keep doing what they were doing, and then bitch some more. Another weird thing I've noticed is that some people react as if this is ancient, stone-tablet-style communication; others are absolutely bamboozled by this space-age technology and get too intimidated to use it. I sympathize with Spock about humans. :wall:

As for the tech itself, I've looked into ways to make the site more social-media-style and allow for some content. One developer is doing a complete overhaul of phpBB to turn it into a fuller-feature social network site, but this is still in alpha after two years of work, there are no screenshots, and the developer's site is down, so I don't have a great deal of confidence. I'd also like to have a calendar so that events and anniversaries and such could be posted - that is also in development and there doesn't seem to be a timetable. As well, the attempt to install a new language doesn't seem to have worked and the developers were no help. Such is what happens with volunteer projects.

Anyway, questions, comments, and verbal abuse is all welcome. (The last one, slightly less welcome.)
This has been another brain dribble from...
SCOOTER :cool:
Professional Dilettante (reasonable rates) :thumb:
skramer@atlantic-computingREMOVETHIS.com

QotM: "Of course, crazy people aren't required to do math at all, which is why their theories are so much more fun to read."
scooter
Lord High Muckety-Muck
Scooter

Fandoms

Arts & Crafts

Sports

Lifestyle

Vaccines

Re: More content, extensions, etc.

Post by scooter »

Hmmmm...okay. What do people think of this? :dunno:
This has been another brain dribble from...
SCOOTER :cool:
Professional Dilettante (reasonable rates) :thumb:
skramer@atlantic-computingREMOVETHIS.com

QotM: "Of course, crazy people aren't required to do math at all, which is why their theories are so much more fun to read."
Glitter
Mírén de dìguó shǎnguāng gōngzhǔ
Glitter

Fandoms

Arts & Crafts

Sports

Lifestyle

Vaccines

Post by Glitter »

Either one looks interesting but so much more work. The question is as always - traffic.....
sir, that's my emotional support long haired male character
Random American
Captain
United States of America
House: what

Fandoms

Vaccines

Post by Random American »

I like the Christmas lights effect you installed.
Not affiliated with or employed by Atlantic Computing Services. Just a forumgoer.
Atlantic
Forum Admin
United States of America

Post by Atlantic »

We now have the ad bar from Planet Nexus at the bottom of the page. Should be unobtrusive enough. Let me know if there are any issues.
ATLANTIC COMPUTING SERVICES
Effective. Responsive. Inexpensive. That's Atlantic.