Jane
Junior Explorer
United Kingdom
House: Hufflepuff

Fandoms

Arts & Crafts

Windows 10

Post by Jane »

Does anyone actually like it? Bring back XP I say. Much more user friendly. In fact..even 98 was better. I have a windows 7 and a clunky old XP I use for playing old games on.

I keep debating about getting W10...but I just don't like it.. :rant:

“monsters are real and ghosts are real too. They live inside us and sometimes,they win”

Stephen King

Atlantic
Forum Admin
United States of America

Re: Windows 10

Post by Atlantic »

With Win 10, there was an effort by Microsoft to better integrate devices such as tablets, and in my opinion, that could contribute to that "clunky" feel, as there is less specialization from the OS. I can understand why it was done, given the new line of products that they wish to work with Windows, but I'm not sure that integration was the way to go. After all, we all have microwave ovens, refrigerators, and coffee makers in our kitchens - but we don't try to make them operate with the same controls...

Also, MS Edge is not the best choice. It's a good browser in terms of stability, but seems a bit cumbersome for regular use. A streamlined option like Opera could be better for the non-power user.

There's going to be a trade-off with any operating system. Linux, for example, is much more powerful than any Microsoft OS, but is also much less user-friendly.

That said, if an older OS is functional and operating well, and does what you need, I don't see any problem in continuing to use it...
ATLANTIC COMPUTING SERVICES
Effective. Responsive. Inexpensive. That's Atlantic.

Dracula
Space Patrol
United States of America
House: what

Fandoms

Post by Dracula »

Windows 8 was so much worse. I remember that being an unstable mess and I wanted windows 7 back so so bad. Windows 10 is better but I prefer Windows 7. I even am trying to revive an old laptop with a questionable hard disk so I can continue to use Windows 7 at least some of the time. I would downgrade my new laptop, but that would mean drivers probably not working and me losing functionality as a result. It's not a risk I'm willing to take of course.

Windows 10 is a good operating system, but it is no Windows 7, and it has vices that Windows 7 does not have. Microsoft even disabled local account creation for Windows 10 which sucked. Overall though, I don't like the direction where Microsoft is going.

Edit: I had to put XP on the old thing, as Windows 7 wasn't working right.
Not affiliated with or employed by Atlantic Computing Services. Just a forumgoer.

Siguza
Scout
Australia

Sports

Post by Siguza »

Windows 10 is a bloated mess. It is relatively stable, however, and does what I need it to do.

Windows 7 was better, as I like older-looking interfaces and also it wasn’t bloated.

Windows 8 sucked. I really didn’t like it.
Formerly known as qcz

scooter
Oh, jeez, it's him again
Scooter

Fandoms

Arts & Crafts

Sports

Lifestyle

Post by scooter »

Dracula wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:23 pm

Huh, really? :???: What's the processor on that old thing? Or was it a matter of memory?
SCOOTER :cool:
Professional Dilettante (reasonable rates)
skramer@atlantic-computingREMOVETHIS.com

QotM: "Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur."

Dracula
Space Patrol
United States of America

Fandoms

Post by Dracula »

scooter wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:05 pm
Dracula wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:23 pm

Huh, really? :???: What's the processor on that old thing? Or was it a matter of memory?
Please don't consider this a tech support request...

But to answer your question, the laptop is a Dell Latitude D610 with a Pentium M processor and 1 gigabyte of ram. I put Tiny 7 on it which is a skimmed down version of Windows 7. What would happen is when the laptop lid would be closed, it would be unable to wake up again even though it was still on. I still have that problem with XP so I'm assuming I'm missing some sort of driver. It's not important as I'm probably going to just power off before closing the lid at all times anyway, but I decided to at least try to fix it by installing it's native OS and some of the drivers on the Dell site.

I keep the old thing because it is built better than modern laptops. It outlasted two of them while in my possession.
Not affiliated with or employed by Atlantic Computing Services. Just a forumgoer.

Dracula
Space Patrol
United States of America

Fandoms

Post by Dracula »

It was a driver. It wakes up now. Hard drive sometimes fails though.

scooter
Oh, jeez, it's him again
Scooter

Fandoms

Arts & Crafts

Sports

Lifestyle

Post by scooter »

Good on fixing the driver. What's the deal with the drive, though? Motor issue or something software based?
SCOOTER :cool:
Professional Dilettante (reasonable rates)
skramer@atlantic-computingREMOVETHIS.com

QotM: "Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur."