Acer Aspire A515-43 & Windows S-mode.

Questions and comments about desktops and laptops
Dracula
Space Cadet
United States of America

Fandoms

Acer Aspire A515-43 & Windows S-mode.

Post by Dracula »

I just got an Acer Aspire A515-43 and overall, I have no problem with it. One thing that Microsoft is doing now is giving users a default install of Windows 10 in S-mode, which bars people from using any app not from the windows store. :roll: Yes, just like Apple iDevices. They allow you to leave S-mode but I still find it ballsy. There is no doubt that they are attempting to copy Apple's closed ecosystem.

Overall, I got this only because I needed a new computer and prices are through the roof, so I went with the cheapest I could find, plus the reviews weren't bad. Not perfect, but far from terrible.

Edit: I actually don't like the trackpad all that much but it's something I can live with.
Not affiliated with or employed by Atlantic Computing Services. Just a forumgoer.

Space Ghost
Space Cadet
Franco-Marylandais
House: what

Fandoms

Lifestyle

Re: Acer Aspire A515-43 & Windows S-mode.

Post by Space Ghost »

I think the S in "S Mode" stands for Satan. :twisted:
I'm an ordinary guy
'cept I can fly
And sometimes I'm invisible...
All day long, I'm just a-rightin' wrongs,
And makin' evil villains miser'ble!

Dracula
Space Cadet
United States of America

Fandoms

Post by Dracula »

Space Ghost wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:00 pm
Might as well. It's a big change from Microsoft as Windows 7 and before didn't have something like that installed be default. I wonder if they plan on making s-mode mandatory in the future.
Not affiliated with or employed by Atlantic Computing Services. Just a forumgoer.

Atlantic
Forum Admin
United States of America

Post by Atlantic »

Dracula wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:03 pm
Space Ghost wrote:
Might as well. It's a big change from Microsoft as Windows 7 and before didn't have something like that installed be default. I wonder if they plan on making s-mode mandatory in the future.
My feeling is that they would lose a lot of market share if they did so...and perhaps open an opportunity for post-market modifications.
ATLANTIC COMPUTING SERVICES
Effective. Responsive. Inexpensive. That's Atlantic.

Dracula
Space Cadet
United States of America

Fandoms

Post by Dracula »

Atlantic wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:14 pm
Dracula wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:03 pm
Space Ghost wrote:
My feeling is that they would lose a lot of market share if they did so...and perhaps open an opportunity for post-market modifications.
They banned class action lawsuits and put mandatory arbitration clauses in their TOS. I wouldn't be surprised that they might try to ban post-market modifications via that same contract in the future. I think they're too deeply entrenched to lose all of their market.