Ocean City
House: Hufflepuff

Fandoms

Arts & Crafts

Sports

Lifestyle

Jeopardy! host named

Post by scooter »

Mike Richards, the executive producer of Jeopardy!, has named himself as the new host, in a freaking incredible dick move. :rant:

Mayim Bialik is filling in for specials and tournaments, which I think is a pretty good choice. She has some problematic political things she's said, but that doesn't affect anything she did on Jeopardy!, where she did really well and was good and entertaining.

The article blames Sony execs for the Richards choice, which is a huge, ridiculous cop-out. :no: You don't get to throw up your hands and say, "Gawrsh, who'd'a thunk?" when you're the EP. He gave himself the job, either through lobbying the Sony people or just making it a fait accompli.

As for the other possible choices, to be honest, I wasn't impressed with Levar Burton. He did an okay job, and would have definitely settled into it well, but seemed a bit tentative. I think he was perhaps too aware of Trebek's legacy. He would have gotten better once he learned how to put his own spin on the show.

The big surprise for me was Aaron Rodgers. He was pretty damned good, and would have been a good permanent host.
This has been another bit of brain shrapnel from...
SCOOTER :cool:
Professional Dilettante (reasonable rates) :thumb:
skramer@atlantic-computingREMOVETHIS.com

QotM: "Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed." – Hunter S. Thompson
WolfofWords
Pirate
House: Ravenclaw

Fandoms

Arts & Crafts

Sports

Lifestyle

Re: Jeopardy! host named

Post by WolfofWords »

Also, Ken Jennings will remain with the show as a consulting producer.

It seems really callous to make a game of this audition process and have people speculate, pick their favorites, and try to guess who might get the job and then throw all of that goodwill out at the end by having a suit pick himself.
atomictrivia
Commander
Commander
None of your business

Post by atomictrivia »

Jennings was good, but he didn't have quite the charisma of Burton or Bialik. He would have been a pretty good choice.
The best pub trivia in the whole universe...
ATOMIC TRIVIA!
WolfofWords
Pirate

Fandoms

Arts & Crafts

Sports

Lifestyle

Post by WolfofWords »

I agree. He better serves the show as a consulting producer. If he makes it to Executive Producer he can get the job easy, though.
WolfofWords
Pirate

Fandoms

Arts & Crafts

Sports

Lifestyle

Post by WolfofWords »

And he's already gone. Apparently, he made it through one day of shooting and he's out as host. Pretty dumb to make yourself host if you knew there was audio of you on a comedy podcast making dumb statements about women. He's still EP, though. Back to the guest hosts for the beginning of next season.

https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/mike-r ... 235045394/
Glitter
Graphics Team
Graphics Team
Valdemar

Fandoms

Arts & Crafts

Sports

Lifestyle

Post by Glitter »

Yup - just read this this morning. Wow.......
sir, that's my emotional support long haired male character
scooter
Administrator
Administrator
Ocean City

Fandoms

Arts & Crafts

Sports

Lifestyle

Post by scooter »

:fail:

I'm not much on the whole "cancellation" thing, where you have to prove an impeccable pedigree dating back to the beginning of the Internet in order to get any particular job (Bialik has her moments as well), but given the shady circumstances under which Richards got the gig in the first place, it's a win overall. :thumb:

QotM: "Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed." – Hunter S. Thompson
WolfofWords
Pirate

Fandoms

Arts & Crafts

Sports

Lifestyle

Post by WolfofWords »

Yeah. I don't support his past comments nor how he was investigated and "canceled" but he knew about all of those bad taste statements and that they could be easily found. Even with all of that, he gave himself the job in a pretty disingenuous way prompting people to gun for him.
scooter
Administrator
Administrator
Ocean City

Fandoms

Arts & Crafts

Sports

Lifestyle

Post by scooter »

WolfofWords wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 7:45 pm Yeah. I don't support his past comments nor how he was investigated and "canceled" but he knew about all of those bad taste statements and that they could be easily found. Even with all of that, he gave himself the job in a pretty disingenuous way prompting people to gun for him.
Apparently he'd been cited twice for possible harrassment before he made those comments, which makes a bit more sense.

scooter
Administrator
Administrator
Ocean City

Fandoms

Arts & Crafts

Sports

Lifestyle

Post by scooter »

scooter wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:49 pm
WolfofWords wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 7:45 pm Yeah. I don't support his past comments nor how he was investigated and "canceled" but he knew about all of those bad taste statements and that they could be easily found. Even with all of that, he gave himself the job in a pretty disingenuous way prompting people to gun for him.
Apparently he'd been cited twice for possible harrassment before he made those comments, which makes a bit more sense.
Ah-ha-ha-ha-ha. https://www.cnn.com/2021/08/31/media/mi ... index.html :lol: