None of your business
House: Ravenclaw

Fandoms

Activities

Lifestyle

Lucifer!

Post by CrazyCraftLady »

First half of Season 5 drops on Netflix on Friday

When last we left our heroes Lucifer had just sat upon the throne of Hell, right?
‘Meow’ says the knitter. :twisted:
Thanks to Open Clip Art Vectors on PixaBay for the avatar base image

hopena
Junior Explorer

Re: Lucifer!

Post by hopena »

I'm working my way through season two, but am also back to Jane the Virgin, and Tales from the Loop.

CrazyCraftLady
Space Ranger
None of your business

Fandoms

Activities

Lifestyle

Post by CrazyCraftLady »

Thoughts on Season 5 Episode 1

(Spoilers readable through rot13

I hadn't rewatched season 4 before going into this. Maybe I should have, because I was distracted by how long Chloe's hair had gotten. Upon checking, it hadn't actually gotten that much longer, she's just not doing anything with it because (second thing I noticed) she's really tired, and spent, and coming apart.

In fact, everyone not demonic or angelic is kind of coming apart, but that's mostly understandable. Chloe is devastated at how she lost Lucifer. Dan is still in mourning for Charlotte (though he's coping by self reflection and improvement rather than dissipation), so he's gone overboard in the self help department. Linda is completely frazzled and overwhelmed by caring for a half angelic baby, who may or may not be manifesting advanced abilities far beyond a two month old, Linda seems to be the only one to see that. I really have no idea why Ella seemed that off. She was close to Lucifer too, but she doesn't know where he is, so she's free of the worry about him rotting away, literally in hell.

Angels and demons are having issues as well, though they all look completely fabulous. Nzranqvry vf npghnyyl ubyqvat hc gur orfg bs gur guerr, ohg uvf svefg nccrnenapr yrq zr gb oryvrir gur bccbfvgr. Mazikeem looks amazing. Lucifer looks, perhaps, a little older and seems less manic. It works.

What didn't really work for me was Ella. The whole 'bad boy' thing seemed pretty random, I have no memory for her having a thing for them. In fact, I don't think her romantic relationships have come up at all before. I do remember that her brother was a let down, and that she had a pretty sketchy past, but I had been under the impression that that drove her away from the bad boy type.... There's still no mention of who the captain is. That was distracting last season, a couple of times, where logically there would have been some chief figure giving the police department direction and they had someone else sort of standing in. Just a line saying "Chief X thinks..." would have worked better.

Everyone felt just a little bit off, a little bit broad, probably because of the gap between seasons. It worked, though, because every single character is under stress.

Gur gjvfg raqvat jnfa'g gung rssrpgvir, orpnhfr V qvqa'g unir gvzr gb ohl vagb Yhpvsre pbzvat onpx orsber jr fnj gung vg jnfa'g. Ng yrnfg Puybr abgvprq gung fbzrguvat frrzrq bss nobhg uvz evtug njnl.

Not in love, but I'm glad they're going to take the time to wrap it up right.

CrazyCraftLady
Space Ranger
None of your business

Fandoms

Activities

Lifestyle

Post by CrazyCraftLady »

OK, so i may have binged the half-season that dropped. Overall, it's definitely enjoyable, nygubhtu V ernyyl qba'g nccerpvngr jung unccrarq gb Ryyn. Gung bar jnf ernyyl gryrtencurq, ohg fgvyy naablvat.

Cliffhanger was appreciated, though. I'm looking forward o the wrap up.

Glitter
Rebel Princess
Mars
House: Hufflepuff

Fandoms

Activities

Sports

Lifestyle

Post by Glitter »

Have 2 eps left. Will translate things tomorrow night probably
Wei WuXian, “Yep. Congratulations. You’re under corpse poisoning.”

Jin Ling, “How is this something to congratulate someone for?!” - Mo Dao Zu Shi

Glitter
Rebel Princess
Mars

Fandoms

Activities

Sports

Lifestyle

Post by Glitter »

I'm going to steal most of Kim's write up and just change a few things. I think Ella's bf issues were address in a previous season - season 3 maybe? Might even have been one of the weird out of place eps.

Kim says:

I felt the season was peppered with storylines they already covered previously; it was terribly predictable and I just couldn’t really accept Dan.

I love Ella and she deserves better than what she is getting. Naq sbe n oevrs zbzrag V gubhtug gurl jrer tbvat gb xvyy ure. V ernyyl qvq naq V jnf’g unccl - V jbhyq’ir orra fb cvffrq bss. I was glad that she was so smart to incapacitate him - it was brilliant. As was her interrogation. But really, she needs some happy; someone that will support her and love her for her. (But we all pegged him as a “bad guy” from the moment he opened his mouth - grrr)

Dan. The writers have no idea what to do with him and it’s readily apparent. The self help journey? The constant focus on sharing his findings with everyone? It’s just not Dan. And while I can see/accept that Charlotte’s death hit him very hard, I just don’t feel as though Dan is acting like Dan. There had to be a better for him to work through his pain. Naq V’z abg fher jung gb znxr vs uvf ernpgvba gb Yhpvsre. I suspect that Ella would have a bigger issue considering her faith in God (although that was shaken in a previous season she is still wearing the cross necklace.)

Maze. She has already been through this with Lucifer. While she has grown so much from the beginning of the series, she keeps backsliding, and it’s always when Lucifer isn’t honest with her (through omission) or is just plain mean. If I have one wish for her, I want her to find herself, give herself meaning so she isn’t pin-balling back and forth doing other people’s bidding.

Lucifer needs to stop being so mean, and saying things without thinking. He has evolved more than that to keep justifying his carelessness with Maze (and others). It’s ok for him to be decent and polite - she can still be snarky and a wiseass. His treatment of Maze was just wrong.

Michael is a dick :P It was weird to hear a non-accented voice coming from Tom Ellis. It was fun to watch, but man, he just seemed to manipulate everyone so easily (but that’s his “thing”, I know, I just didn’t like it :P)

Loved the fight at the end. Lucifer and Amenadiel working together. The wings. The appearance of God (yeah Dennis Haysbert!)

I hope that the second half is a bit more solid in the writing department. I want the characters to really move on, grow - not just have moments of growth.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Amenadiel and Linda were a really solid story for the most part. But Amenadiel has the same issue as Lucifer with overreacting and leaping to massive conclusions. It was nice to see that Maze and Linda's relationship still working well.

scooter
Space Monkey
Scooter
Mastodon: @scooterbird@mstdn.io

Fandoms

Activities

Sports

Lifestyle

Post by scooter »

Glitter wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:11 pm
I'm going to steal most of Kim's write up and just change a few things.
Kim should clearly make an account here! ;)
SCOOTER :mrgreen:
:cool: Head Bartender in Charge, Tuesday Craft Night :ugeek:
skramer@atlantic-computingREMOVETHIS.com

QotM: "Welcome to...The Internet! Where the men are REAL men! The women are REAL men! And the children are REAL FBI agents!"

Glitter
Rebel Princess
Mars

Fandoms

Activities

Sports

Lifestyle

Post by Glitter »

scooter wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:06 pm
Glitter wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:11 pm
I'm going to steal most of Kim's write up and just change a few things.
Kim should clearly make an account here! ;)
I will give her the hard sell.

Lavender
Explorer
United States of America

Fandoms

Activities

Sports

Lifestyle

Post by Lavender »

OK. So here I am. :)

Glitter
Rebel Princess
Mars

Fandoms

Activities

Sports

Lifestyle

Post by Glitter »

Lavender wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 10:15 pm
OK. So here I am. :)
Like - one of the bestest friends ever!!!!!!!