Local Traditional Christmas Songs

♫ Roadrunner, roadrunner / Goin' faster miles an hour / Gonna drive past the Stop 'n' Shop / With the radio on ♫
WolfofWords
Pirate
House: Ravenclaw

Fandoms

Arts & Crafts

Sports

Lifestyle

Local Traditional Christmas Songs

Post by WolfofWords »

scooter
Administrator
Administrator
Ocean City
House: Hufflepuff

Fandoms

Arts & Crafts

Sports

Lifestyle

Re: Local Traditional Christmas Songs

Post by scooter »

It isn't Christmas until I hear the Donnelly Advertising Christmas Jingle.

Said the old Bawlamer guy...

EDIT: Unfortunately, the visual context is missing, here, and that makes it rather bizarre. The commercial consists of a slow pan across a Currier & Ives-style outdoor skating scene...and that's it. There's no animation, there's no text or anything else displayed...there might be a slow dissolve to another part of the picture once or twice. There's a VO over the last bit of "sing, sing, sing's": "The Donnelly Advertising Company wishes you and yours a very merry Christmas!" And that is it. There is no attempt at all to give a phone number or an address, and never once are there any words, or even a logo, on the screen.

It was and still is a strong Christmas cultural marker in my mind, but it does kind of operate in that weird area of TV broadcasting that you look back on and retrospectively consider an artifact of some internal logic that never quite externalized into full coherence.
This has been another bit of brain shrapnel from...
SCOOTER :cool:
Professional Dilettante (reasonable rates) :thumb:
skramer@atlantic-computingREMOVETHIS.com

QotM: "Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed." – Hunter S. Thompson
scooter
Administrator
Administrator
Ocean City
House: Hufflepuff

Fandoms

Arts & Crafts

Sports

Lifestyle

Re: Local Traditional Christmas Songs

Post by scooter »

And more on the Donnelly Christmas jingle, including a pic of the actual vinyl record that they distributed with that on it! :coolthumb: Apparently they had a jingle for New Year's as well, which I don't remember ever hearing...

I haven't been able to find the audio anywhere with the announcer on it, at the end. Maybe a job for Lost Media Wiki?
scooter wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:48 pm It isn't Christmas until I hear the Donnelly Advertising Christmas Jingle.

Said the old Bawlamer guy...

EDIT: Unfortunately, the visual context is missing, here, and that makes it rather bizarre. The commercial consists of a slow pan across a Currier & Ives-style outdoor skating scene...and that's it. There's no animation, there's no text or anything else displayed...there might be a slow dissolve to another part of the picture once or twice. There's a VO over the last bit of "sing, sing, sing's": "The Donnelly Advertising Company wishes you and yours a very merry Christmas!" And that is it. There is no attempt at all to give a phone number or an address, and never once are there any words, or even a logo, on the screen.

It was and still is a strong Christmas cultural marker in my mind, but it does kind of operate in that weird area of TV broadcasting that you look back on and retrospectively consider an artifact of some internal logic that never quite externalized into full coherence.
This has been another bit of brain shrapnel from...
SCOOTER :cool:
Professional Dilettante (reasonable rates) :thumb:
skramer@atlantic-computingREMOVETHIS.com

QotM: "Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed." – Hunter S. Thompson