None of your business
House: Ravenclaw

Fandoms

Arts & Crafts

Lifestyle

Re: Pruning

Post by CrazyCraftLady »

scooter wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 1:46 pm
scooter wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 8:27 pm I have now given up on pruning the Forums by hand. I now have set an automatic process to get rid of any topic which has not been commented on in exactly one year. :rage: (The Weather forum is set for 30 days, in order to keep it most current.) Unlike the current method, this is not reversible.

If there is a topic of yours that you don't wish to have go away, make it into a Sticky. (Comment if you don't know how.) Stickies will never be pruned.

I might introduce a new hidden forum somewhere for an archive, in case there's a lot of stuff we want to save. Let me know if you want that to happen.
I might increase the pruning to two years, just to give a long archive of posts for new members to take a look at. Would that be a navigation problem for anybody?
No, not at this point. Maybe revisit it in another year?
‘Meow’ says the knitter. :twisted:
scooter
Administrator
Administrator
Ocean City
House: Hufflepuff

Fandoms

Arts & Crafts

Sports

Lifestyle

Post by scooter »

We're bringing this up again, as the last post on this thread mentioned...

Most of the contemporary forums out there simply do not prune anything; there's no real consideration for anything that might be too old. Instead, there seems to be an unwritten rule that they follow that old threads should not be resurrected. I'm not sure why that is, since if I don't want somebody to post on something, I just delete it.

Would you prefer that threads older than two years be left in place? Maybe to a full three? Or just not touched?
This has been another bit of brain shrapnel from...
SCOOTER :cool:
Professional Dilettante (reasonable rates) :thumb:
skramer@atlantic-computingREMOVETHIS.com

QotM: "Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed." – Hunter S. Thompson
CrazyCraftLady
None of your business

Fandoms

Arts & Crafts

Lifestyle

Post by CrazyCraftLady »

Is there any way to 'close' a thread?
‘Meow’ says the knitter. :twisted:
[Dimetrodon]
United States of America
House: what

Fandoms

Lifestyle

Post by [Dimetrodon] »

scooter wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 2:15 amOr just not touched?
IMHO, I think they should not be touched. If someone necroposts in an old topic, I think it would probably be better to just delete the post and lock the topic.

CrazyCraftLady wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 10:07 pm Is there any way to 'close' a thread?
Mods and Admins can lock threads. That would prevent further posting.
WolfofWords
Pirate

Fandoms

Arts & Crafts

Sports

Lifestyle

Post by WolfofWords »

Random American wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 12:45 pm
IMHO, I think they should not be touched. If someone necroposts in an old topic, I think it would probably be better to just delete the post and lock the topic.

CrazyCraftLady wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 10:07 pm Is there any way to 'close' a thread?
And if anybody has something interesting to add to an old topic, that can be cool too.
[Dimetrodon]
United States of America
House: what

Fandoms

Lifestyle

Post by [Dimetrodon] »

WolfofWords wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 2:54 pm
Random American wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 12:45 pm

And if anybody has something interesting to add to an old topic, that can be cool too.
Agreed, I think a case by case basis is the best. If it’s valuable, then the discussion restarts. If it’s a low quality post (such) as a one-liner, then it would be best to lock the topic.
scooter
Administrator
Administrator
Ocean City
House: Hufflepuff

Fandoms

Arts & Crafts

Sports

Lifestyle

Post by scooter »

Okay...I have finally disabled pruning on almost every forum. We'll figure out what gets deleted on a case-by-case basis.

The forums which will still get pruned are What's New?, How Do I...?, and Weather. I was going to include News, for obvious reasons, but decided against it; it's good to be able to have follow-ups on news stories (something which is missing in the common media).
This has been another bit of brain shrapnel from...
SCOOTER :cool:
Professional Dilettante (reasonable rates) :thumb:
skramer@atlantic-computingREMOVETHIS.com

QotM: "Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed." – Hunter S. Thompson